Getting divorced

Main content

Dividing your benefits with a former partner

If you get divorced or dissolve a civil partnership, the courts need to decide how to divide your assets between you and your former spouse or civil partner. When they do this, they’ll take the value of your benefits into account.

For divorce proceedings that started on or after 1 October 2000, the courts can apply a process called pension sharing. Unlike processes used previously (which didn’t split benefits until they came into payment), pension sharing is designed to give you a clean break.

With pension sharing, the courts split the value of your benefits between you and your former spouse or civil partner upfront. Your former partner will need to move their share of the benefits to another pension arrangement and the value of your benefits in the RMPP will be reduced to reflect this.

If you are getting divorced, please get in touch with the Pensions Service Centre. You’ll need to ask them for details of your benefits in writing. When you write to them, please quote:

  • Your membership number or National Insurance number
  • Your date of birth.