Getting divorced

Dividing your pension benefits with a former partner

If you get divorced or dissolve a civil partnership, the courts need to decide how to divide your assets between you and your former spouse or civil partner. When they do this, they’ll take the value of all your pension benefits into account (including those held in the RMSPS).

How do the courts divide pension benefits?

For divorce proceedings that started on or after 1 October 2000, the courts can apply a process called pension sharing. 

With pension sharing, the courts split the value of your pension benefits between you and your former spouse or civil partner upfront. Your former partner will need to move their share of the benefits to another pension arrangement. And the value of your benefits will be reduced to reflect this. It means you don’t have to wait until you’ve started taking your benefits to split them.

The courts can apply pension sharing even if you’ve started taking your pension benefits.

How do I get details of my pension benefits for divorce proceedings?

If you’re getting divorced, please get in touch with the Pensions Service Centre (contact details below). You’ll need to ask them for details of your pension benefits in writing. When you write to them, please quote:

  • Your member number or National Insurance number

  • Your date of birth

If you don’t know which section you’re in, contact the Helpline (contact details are at the bottom of the page); or If you recieve an Annual Benefit Illustration the section is noted on the front page.